We didn't make many Shindigs this year - and with the record-breaking rains of this year, they had to cancel a few of them. But Norris' family came to visit this weekend and we took his mother back for the final Shindig of 2013 -
The last Shindig of the year is when they draw the winners of the raffle guitar, and the quilt I worked on with friends Alice and Ann. Since we were all there, we asked the Folk Heritage Committee if we could go up on stage with the quilt for the pitch to the audience to support this free, outdoor family event by buying raffle tickets. Norris brought the camera closer to the stage and took some photos, but with the low light, and us moving around to show both sides of the quilt, he didn't manage to get all three of us in focus in one photo. But we can share a couple of the better ones.
Master of Ceremonies tonight was extraordinary local musician Laura Boosinger, shown at the microphone when she was reading our names. Ann is barely visible behind the quilt on the left side and Alice is holding it up on the right.
You would not guess by how Alice is supporting her end of the quilt in that photo, but she's been dealing with a tendon issue, so I relieved her on that side. I really like this photo of Ann's gorgeous smile! She's the one that suggested the design we used this year.
Here's one last photo I like because I feel so privileged to think I was sharing the stage with Laura, while she sang a verse of Banks of the Ohio. You can see that Ann's design choice and the colors of the quilt would be visible even to people on the other side of the park.
The great part of going up on stage was the thanks we got from many of the Folk Heritage Committee members for making the quilts to support this local music and dance tradition.




2 comments:
Nice blog post!
I thought it was terrific that that the winner of the quilt was a local woman who shares a birthday with Norris, August 31st. She got a nice surprise for her birthday!
Love the colors and design of this year's quilt!
Post a Comment