I got this photo of our neighbors' four grandchildren while we were waiting for the parade to begin. I was told it is difficult to get them together in a group like this so I took several shots hoping one of them would get everyone's eyes open - I thought this one came out particularly well.
It wasn't long after that that the parade started as usual with the banner marking the longevity of the tradition.
Visible in the background of that banner shot, the tradition we thought we knew changed this year and the RCFD did not bring up the rear of the procession. But that's getting ahead of the story - first we have the now traditional Veterans' Float - they really made a festive sight with all the flags!
The old Engine came next.,,,
Norris came by with the larger contingent from the RCFD, driving the big tanker.
In a surprise twist, he whipped out his phone for a photo of your photographer who is always behind the camera.
There are always elements in the parade we haven't seen before - I think this year's biggest new float was a boat.
Then we have a well-decked-out golf cart.
Lady Liberty and Uncle Sam - we'll catch up with them later.
It looked like the youth in their ATVs have been drilling to move in formation.
Then we have the usual decorated bicycles - this young man has creative face paint as well.
We missed the equestrian contingent - but I didn't realize until I was looking at my photos that there was a baby goat in the parade. I suspect it was either not cooperating with the idea of marching, or it was just tired out by the time it had come at least a half mile from the staging area on Roberts Cove all the way to the church on Sugar Cove Road.
We marveled at the skill of this young man with his two-wheeled skateboard.
I just looked it up - they are called "waveboards."
I think the youngest human in the parade was in this vehicle.
But these next two were pretty young and self-propelled.
I liked this group of bicycles -
They were all outfitted with these tin cans that add a festive note to the procession.Another group of participants that we have not seen in the parade since we've been going were these beautiful tractors. This tractor has a sign telling us it is a Ford and dates to 1953.
it pulled this little trailer equipped with an ice cream making device from 1927. Some in the crowd liked the noise it made when the farmer fired it up after the parade - they said it reminded them of the moonshine stills.
Next we have a 1947 Ford and a 1936 John Deere.
And finally, a 1950 Farmall Cub.
MAMA made its usual grand entrance on the ballfield at the community center after the parade was finished. It was different for me this time - I came with Gary and Judi. We're looking at the backs of their heads in this photo.
It was fun to see the dramatic arrival of MAMA through their eyes.
Our neighbor's grandson got a turn at driving this tractor.
Not really - his feet might have been able to reach the pedals, but the engine wasn't running.
His big sister meanwhile was trying to walk on stilts. Even with assistance it was a struggle to get her balance, but I got her when she was looking up and actually moving.
This final look at the fire vehicles as the program was starting in the community center about wraps up the 130th Beech Parade ...
... except that since Judi and Gary decided to stay for the music, Norris gave me a ride back to the entrance to our development in the tanker - my first time on the inside of a fire truck!
It was not a comfortable ride - I was just as happy to walk the last part of my trip home.



























4 comments:
Indeed, a wonderful weather day for the Fourth of July festivities. What a great sight to see all those tractors. I often get the feeling that your parade has more people in the parade than standing on the roadside watching. How marvelous that so many can be involved.
You had a very festive 4th!
Looks like a fun time. So you like being on foot better, huh?
Hi Cheryl and Norris this is Brian and Erika - thanks again for the photos but mostly the thought. The blog is a great reflection of the day and we can feel that we were there, again. Thanks heaps.
Post a Comment