Wednesday, July 29, 2015

A new visitor

Today we were surprised to see a new visitor on our hummingbird feeders - (sorry about the screen)

The hummer on the right was also surprised at having to compete with a Swallowtail.

We are overdue in posting the following observation about our hummingbird population this year.  Sightings and consumption seemed extremely low for the first few months of the season, but just about 2.5 weeks ago on a rainy day, the birds suddenly started draining the two feeders we had been filling every 3-5 days within hours of filling them up.  We immediately added another feeder and two days later put up the fourth and are having to refill them multiple times daily.  We assume the new birds are this year's first crop of hatchlings.

3 comments:

Anna Banana said...

I wondered if you had as many hummingbirds this year. We've seen the hammers around our flowering plants, but not so much action at the feeder. A couple nights ago something knocked down the feeder... A raccoon, I suspect. I couldn't find the deck hook right away (it was later located partway down our slope) so I rehung the feeder in a different spot. Tonight we were on the deck for a couple hours after dinner and saw many hummingbirds approach the feeder. So maybe the August frenzy is beginning! Love to watch them!

ancquilter said...

Well, that's an interesting sight! My Joe Pye Weed is getting ready to bloom, so I anticipate many swallowtails any week now.

ancquilter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.