Friday, October 31, 2008

time for a quilting show

Haven't posted pictures of "finished" quilting jobs lately -

This first one was on my machine when Roger and Laurie were here. It's a pattern by Eleanor Burns called Jewel Box, done with Christmas fabrics. It was a commissioned quilt - my customer normally hand quilts, but a quilt this large is a little much since she had a Christmas deadline, so she hired me.


Close up of the part Laurie watched me stitching


This shows some of the quilting on the borders, if you click on the photo to enlarge the view.


Laurie is just completing her first quilt, a beautiful little log cabin completely hand-pieced and hand-quilted with some lovely hand dyes (she didn't do that part) that I should have gotten a picture of. She was working on quilting the final border.


This next quilt was done for the sister-in-law of a former colleague. It's meant to be a Christmas present - and apparently the recipient loves the Wizard of Oz. For the piecer, these panel prints are challenging fabrics to work into a cohesive quilt. My quilting job was not quite as hard. I used a brick pattern for the outer border, which my client had chosen to represent the Yellow Brick Road.


If you click on this one you can see the quilted rays coming from the Good Witch of the North's magic wand - a quilting addition I thought would look right on the print.

This closeup of Dorothy shows how I quilted the rest of the picture elements - outlining all the details (except the faces) with clear thread.


This next quilt was a mix of modern and traditional elements - I suggested this very traditional Baptist Fans quilting design because detailed quilting designs would not have shown up as well as this and might have distracted rather than added to the piecing and fabrics the customer has worked hard on.


After we got to the point of picking the Fans, I took a closer look at her backing fabric - it's an Asian print that the quilting treatment was just perfect for.




And this last quilt (for now) - My customer used absolutely charming fabrics and didn't do a lot of piecing - but the pretty toile fabric in the center (this one has Peter Rabbit scenes on it) is one of those that quilting doesn't show up on. But I thought I would quilt bunnies on it anyway. The very dramatic late-afternoon light and shadow effect helps make the quilting show up.


Since the quilt was obviously for a baby girl, I used some fanciful flowers in the alphabet border fabric.


And maybe that's enough for now!

No comments: